Hardy Elementary School Buddy Family Connection Program
Part of what makes Hardy strong is its warm, welcoming community. You can help ensure a smooth transition for incoming and existing Hardy families that need guidance by signing up to be a Buddy Family.
This program is open to anyone, particularly families that:
- Have students starting in classes other than Kindergarten, when it can sometimes feel more challenging for both kids and caregivers to break into established friendship groups.
- Are starting partway through the school year.
- Have just moved to the Hardy School area.
- Currently attend Hardy but would benefit from a mentor family matched specifically for their needs.
Our goal is to pair these families with existing Hardy families to act as a personal point of contact for any questions regarding Hardy School.
What do Buddy Families do?
Hardy families who volunteer to help will:
- Call or email to introduce themselves to the new family.
- Answer questions about Hardy, upcoming events, school schedules, drop-off/pick-up locations, school lunch logistics, and anything else you feel is relevant about Hardy.
- Arrange an informal meet-up, such as a playdate at a local park or Hardy playground.
- Act as a liaison throughout the course of the school year to help orient the new family.
Who can be a Buddy Family?
Any Hardy family enrolled in the current school year that is willing to be a resource for questions that a new, incoming (Kindergarten – Grade 5) family may have during the summer and throughout the school year.
How does the Buddy Family Program work?
The Hardy front office will pair you with a family that best matches your student(s) grade. Buddy assignments are sent out over the summer. We ask mentors to make personal contact with their family within a week of receiving their contact information.
Why should I do this?
The Buddy Family Program promotes school involvement, which builds a stronger Hardy community.
How much work does it involve?
In addition to making personal contact with their new family over the summer:
- Buddy Families are expected to remain in touch during the following school year.
- PTO will provide communications about upcoming events and relevant information for Buddy Families to share with the new family.
- You will be invited to attend the Buddy Family Welcome Reception scheduled for August.
Any additional contact you wish to continue beyond the course of the school year is up to you!
How do I become a Buddy Family?
If you are interested in being paired with a current Hardy family or in volunteering as a mentor to a new family, please email Megan Recupero at email@example.com.